|Castilla y León||Castile and León|
Burgos is situated at an elevation of 865 m on the Rio Arlanzón, a tributary of the Duero, in the northeast of the Iberic Meseta, about 240 km north of the Spanish capital Madrid and 125 km norheast of the capital of Castile and León, Valladolid. It is the capital and with a population of about 175,900 (2018) most populated city of the province of Burgos.
Founded in 884 by Diego Rodríguez Porcelos, Burgos soon became the leading city of the embryonic County of Castile and in the 11th century became the coronation city of the kings of Castile. The 11th century chieftain Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (El Cid, c. 1043–1099) is connected to the city, as he was born near Burgos and was raised and educated there. In a long-lasting decline since the 17th century, following the start of the Spanish Civil War in 1936, Burgos became the headquarters of the Francoist proto-government. Declared in 1964 as Pole of Industrial Promotion and in 1969 as Pole of Industrial Development, the city has grown since then in terms of economic activity.
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Burgos (Santa Iglesia Basílica Catedral Metropolitana
de Santa María de Burgos) is the cathedral church of the archdiocese of Burgos. Its construction began in 1221,
in the style of French Gothic architecture and is based on a Latin Cross. After a hiatus of almost 200 years, it went
through major embellishments of great splendor in flamboyant Gothic style in the 15th and 16th centuries: the spires of the
main façade, the capilla del Condestable and the dome of the transept. The last works of importance (the Sacristy or
the Chapel of Saint Thecla) were made in the 18th century, during which the Gothic portals of the main façade were
also modified. The style of the cathedral is the Gothic, although it has several decorative Renaissance and Baroque elements
as well. The church was listed as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1984 (see list of other UNESCO
World heritage sites).