Fehring is situated at an elevation of 207 m at the river Raab in east Styria. It was first mentioned in a document of 1265. In 1362 it was mentioned as a market town. Fehring suffered severe damage in 1945 but was rebuilt thereafter. In 1962 it obtained the status of a town.
The parish church Sankt Joseph [background right]
was first mentioned in 1305. Between 1716 and 1723 a new church was built in Baroque style.
The new church is oriented towards the north so that the chancel of the old Gothic
church now forms a side chapel at the eastern side of the nave. The church tower
at the south front was completed in 1732. After severe damages in 1945 the
church was restored.