|Bundesland: Freistaat Bayern||Bavaria|
Hilpoltstein is situated at an elevation of 380 m on the river Roth in Middle Franconia, about 30 km south of Nuremberg, about 10 km southeast of the district town Roth and about 47 km southeast of Middle Franconia's capital, Ansbach. The municipality has a population of about 13,900 (2021).
The origins of castle Hilpotstein go back to the 10th century. The earliest known written document mentioning the oppidum de Lapide dates from 1280. In 1354 Hilpoltstein obtained the privileges of a town. Two years later the town was sold to the dukes of Bavaria from the Wittelsbach dynasty. When Bavaria was partitioned in 1392, Hilpoltstein became part of Bavaria-Ingolstadt. In the same year the status as a town was confirmed. In 1505 it became part of the principality of Palatinate-Neuburg. In 1799 Hilpoltstein again became part of the Electorate (1806 Kingdom) of Bavaria. In 1862 the town became the administrative centre of the district Hilpoltstein (part of the administrative region Upper Franconia). In 1880, the district was re-allocated to Middle Franconia and was merged with the former district Beilngries. The district Hilpoltstein was finally dissolved in 1972 and its municipalities distributed among the districts Eichstätt, Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen, and the new district Roth bei Nürnberg (formed out of part of the district Schwabach and the remaining part of the former district Hilpoltstein). The district was finally renamed district Roth in 1973.
Hilpoltstein castle [left, no. 4233: background left, barely visible] dates back to the 10th century. The oldest document referring to it dates from 1142. In 1154 it was mentioned as castellum dicto Stein as it belonged to the Lords of Stein. The palas and the belfry were added in c. 1220–1230, further enlargements followed in 1250. In 1385 the castle came in possession of the Wittelsbach dukes of Bavaria, later to Bavaria-Landshut, and in 1505 to Palatinate-Neuburg. Used from 1606 as dowager seat, it was again substantially rebuilt. After 1639 the castle, however, was abandoned and fell into dereliction. Since 1972 the ruins are in possession of the district, extensive safety building measure works were initiated in 1989.
The parish church of St. John the Baptist [left, no. 4233: background centre, barely visible] was founded in 1372 by the Lord of Stein and hist son. The choir and the lower parts of the tower date from 1473. In 1735 it was largely rebuilt in Baroque style.
The church depicted in the background right could be the Protestant