La Corbière Lighthouse is one of the most important landmarks on the Channel Island of Jersey. It is situated on a tidal island off the southwestern tip ofthe island and is part of the parish of St. Brélade. It was named after the surrounding rocky and sparsely inhabited coastal landscape of La Corbière.
The rocks that reach far into the open sea and the extreme tide fluctuations make seafaring in this area of the island of Jersey extremely treacherous.
Numerous shipwrecks in this area bear witness to this. Nevertheless, it was not until the 1860s that a lighthouse at this point came up for discussion.
Finally, a tidal island about 500 meters off the coast, which can only be reached on foot at low tide, was chosen to erect this navigation sign.
The civil engineer Sir John Coode (1816 1892) was commissioned with the planning, who here created the world's first concrete lighthouse. From the
outset, this was intended for electrical operation. It was completed in November 1873 and began operating in April 1874. A concrete access road to this
island was built in the 1930s. In 1976 the lighthouse was switched to automatic operation, the lighthouse has been uninhabited and unmanned ever since.
With its shape and white exterior, it quickly became a symbol of the island. The lighthouse is monitored and controlled by the local Jersey Port Authority.