Mont Orgueil

ru: Монт-Оргей

4301 Mont Orgueil Mont Orgueil castle overlooks the harbour of Gorey on the eastern coast of Jersey. It is also called Gorey Castle by English-speakers, and lé Vièr Châté (the Old Castle) by Jèrriais-speakers. Excavations in the 1970s have shown that the site has been fortified during the Iron Age. Other materials were also found at the site, which actually date from the Neolithic period (4000–2500 BC). Jersey became part of the Duchy of Normandy in 933 when it was conquered by the Normans. The Islands were then joined to the Kingdom of England after the Duke of Normandy, William the Conqueror won the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The construction of the castle was undertaken following the conquest of the Duchy of Normandy in 1204 by Philip II of France from John, King of England. The castle was first mentioned in 1212. The castle is first called Mont Orgeuil during the occupation by the French during the War of the Roses, in 1462. The castle was retaken by a combined English-Jerseyman force in 1468. Mont Orgueil went through an intense period of renovation in the mid-1500s, which was largely a result of the increasing use of cannon in European warfare. The 'old castle' continued to be used as the island's only prison until the construction of a prison in St. Helier at the end of the 17th century. The The regicides of King Charles I were imprisoned on Mont Orgueil in 1661. Repairs were carried out 1730–1734 and for the rest of the century, parts of the castle were adapted for garrison accommodation. Until the second half of the 19th century, the castle was open to the public on one day a year, Easter Monday, and crowds used to flock from all over the island. The castle continued to decay, and due to its generally ruinous state it was handed over to the people of Jersey by the Crown in 1907. Mont Orgueil has been managed as a museum site since 1929. During the Second World War German occupation (1940–1945), the castle was occupied by the Germans. Since 1994 the heritage site has been managed by the Jersey Heritage Trust.


contact: webmaster