|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Maria Schutz is situated at an elevation of 750 m on the northern slope of the Sonnwendstein mountain (1,523 m). Maria Schutz belongs to the municipality of Schottwien.
The pilgrimage church Maria Schutz was built in 1728–1738 in Baroque style in place of the initial chapel of 1721/22.
The miracle-working spring, origin of the pilgrimages, was included in the church and is located behind the high altar of 1740.
In 1826 a fire damaged the roofs of the church and its towers. The onion roofs of the church towers were then replaced by simple pyramid-shaped roofs, as depicted on the glasses.
The roofs were restored to their original Baroque shapes in 1995. Maria Schutz became a parish in 1783.
Since 1925, the Passionist order is in charge of the church. Maria Schutz is the only Passionist monastery in Austria.