HOME NUMERICAL INDEX ALPHABETICAL INDEX HISTORICAL MAPS INDEX OF NAMES
MAGYARORSZÁG HUNGARY
megye: Hajdú-Bihar  

map

Debrecen

alt: Debreczen
lv: Debrecena lt: Debrecenas hr: Debrecin cs, sk: Debrecín de: Debreczin, Debrezin pl: Debreczyn ro: Debrețin
el: Ντέμπρετσεν
bg, ru, uk: Дебрецен sr, mk: Дебрецин be: Дэбрэцэн

468 Debrecen During the Middle Ages Debrecen developed out of several smaller villages and became a trading place for cattle and agricultural products. It obtained the freedom of the city in 1361. During the times of the Reformation, Debreces became a centre of Calvinism. Even during the occupation by the Turks, which began in 1555, the inhabitants were allowed to practice their faith. When the Habsburgs liberated Debrecen from the Turks in the 17th century they tried to introduce the Counter-Reformation but the majority of the population remained Protestant. During the revolution of 1848 Debrecen was the centre of the struggle for independence under Lajos Kossuth. During World War II Debrecen was the capital of the liberated parts of the country from December 1944 until March 1945.

The street shown on glass no. 468 [left] is Kossuth utca. The street is named for Lajos Kossuth, the Hungarian politician and journalist (1802–1894) who was a central figure for the striving for indepence of Hungary from Austria in the 19th century.

The church shown in the background of glass no. 468 [left] is the so-called Red Church. It is a rare example of a Reformed (Calvinist) church in Hungary with interior decorations.

0000 Debrecen
Piac utca (Market Street) [near left, no. 0000] is one of the main streets of Debrecen. It got its name from the daily and weekly markets that was held in front of the Great Church. Before that, it hadbeen called Várad Street. After world War II it was named Red Army Street, but was renamed Piac utca in 1990.
[https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piac_utca]

1925 Debrecen
The picture on glass no. 1925 [near left] shows the old railway station of Debrecen. The railroad from Budapest to Debrecen was completed in 1857. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, several other lines opened. The building was similar to that of Miskolc. The Debrecen–Budapest line was electrified in the 1940s, so the railway station was also equipped with an overhead line. The building of the railway station was bombed during World War II. The old station building was replaced by a modern construction in 1961.
[https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debrecen_vas%C3%BAt%C3%A1llom%C3%A1s]


[scale]
contact: webmaster