|regione: Friuli - Venezia Giulia|
Grado is situated on an island off the northern shore of the Adriatic Sea. The Romans used Grado (Gradus) as a port for their garrison at Aquileia. When the Huns, led by Attila, invaded the area in 452 AD, the archbishop and the population of Aquileia took refuge on the island. During the following centuries, Aquileia and Grado became rival towns. Between 727 and 827 AD, the patriarchade of Grado was officially recognized by the Roman church. In 1545, a papal decision transferred the seat of the diocese to Castello, which became the seat of the archbishops and patriarchs of Venice. After that, Grado lost its importance and remained a small fishing village. After the end of the Venetian Republic and a short period of French rule, Grado became part of Austria following the Treaty of Campoformido in 1797. At the end of the 19th century, the medical use of the sand made Grado a fashionable summer resort of the Austrian Monarchy's upper and middle class. In 1918, Grado became part of Italy. Today, Grado is again one of the most popular sea-side resorts of the northern Adriatic.
The Basilica Sant' Eufemia [background right] was consecrated in 579 AD
Treasures of the church are the ancient floor mosaics of the 6th century and the pulpit, supported by six slender columns.
The church was thoroughly renovated between 1939 and 1951, restoring the original ancient features of the church.