Birkfeld was first mentioned as market town in 1265. It is a popular starting point for hiking tours in the Feistritz valley and the hill country of eastern Styria.
The town is dominated by the parish and deanery church Sankt Peter und Paul [top right] (first documented in 1295). Despite enlargements the original church became too small during the 17th century and was demolished. It was replaced by the present church of 1709–1715.
The castle Schloss Birkenstein [top left] was formed in 1555 out of several
older private houses by the guardian of castle Waxenegg (see Anger).
It remained in posession of his family until 1675. Later reshapings of the building in Baroque style
determine the appearance of the castle today.