|Ústí nad Labem region
Chomutov (German: Komotau) developed on an old trading route from Bohemia to Saxonia. In 1252 it came into possession of the Teutonic Order who furthered the cultivation of the whole region. Chomutov received the status of a town in 1335 and that of a royal town in 1398. In 1421 the town was conquered and subsequently destroyed by the Hussites under Jan Žižka. Since 1594 it was administered by the royal Bohemian Chamber. The period of economical growth began in the 16th century with iron mining. The industrial development was especially promoted by its access to the railway network since 1870. As Chomutov is situated in an area rich in brown coal it soon became a centre of coal mining and steel industry.
Matthäus Aurogallus (real name Goldhahn) (around 1490–1543), hebraist and rector of the university of Wittenberg, who helped Martin Luther in translating the Bible into German, was born in Chomutov.
The picture on glass no. 2931 [near left] shows a view of
Glass no. 3665 [near left] is labeled in German:
The deanary church of the Assumption of Our Lady [near left, no. 4361: top picture: centre right] was firstmentioned in a written document dating from 1330. Parts of the choir and the sacristy date from this period. The present shape of the church was created starting in 1516. The church tower was built after 1525. The nave was finished in 1539, the western music gallery was created in 1542, the southern gallery in 1585. The presbytery and the chapel on the south side date from the last quarter of the 16th century. The church was rebuilt after a large fire that had devastated the building in 1598. At the same time, the tower was modified by the addition of another floor and the creation of a new roof. Modifications and repairs were carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries. The tower was modified during renovation works in 1873–1874. Nevertheless, the church had to be closed in 1899 due to the poor state of the structure. The church could be re-opened after major renovation works that were carried out in 1905–1915. The tower was finally reconstructed in 1984–1989.
The 'Park Halls' (German: Parksäle) [near left, no. 4361: bottom left picture] were inaugurated in 1905 as event, music and theater centre. In the first six years of its existence, the park halls were run purely as a restaurant. Only the fifth owner applied for and received a theater and variety show license. The park halls thereafter became the centre of social and cultural life of Chomutov and the entire region. The concert and theater hall had a capacity of some 700 seats.
The bottom right picture on glass no. 4361 is labeled