|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Jihočeský kraj||South Bohemia (České Budějovice) region|
Netolice is one of the oldest towns in Bohemia. It was first mentioned in AD 981. Due to its strategic location at the crossroads of several important trading routes it became an important commercial and administrative centre. After 1263 it came into possession of the monastery of Zlatá Koruna (Goldenkron). In 1468 Netolice became a market town by privilege of King Jiří (George) Podìbrady. In the 15th century it passed to the lords of Rožmberk (Rosenberg), 1601 to Emperor Rudolf II, 1622 to Baron (later Prince) Johann Ulrich von Eggenberg, and 1719 to the Princes of Schwarzenberg.
The parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary [near left, no. 598: background left] dates back to the 13th century. After its destruction in 1619 when the Imperial army had conquered the town the church was rebuilt in Baroque style in 1648.
The town hall [near left, no. 598: top picture] was erected
in Neo-Renaissance style in 1869 after a plan of the architect Josef Niklas (1817–1877, born in Volyně).