Brezje is situated at an elevation of 485 m in the Sava river valley. The village, today part of the municipality of Radovljica, was first mentioned in the 11th century.
The pilgrimage church Marija Pomagaj (Our Lady of Perpetual Help) is a major tourist attraction of Slovenia. The church was built in the 15th century. In the 18th century the church was enlarged and also served as a place of refuge in times of war. The statue of Our Lady was donated to the church by the inhabitants of Brezje in 1814. A further enlargement of the church was made between 1863 and 1889. Brezje is the national sanctuary of Slovenia. In 1988 Pope John Paul II granted the church the status Basilica minor.
(see also list of other basilicae minores depicted on glasses of this collection)