|Bezirk: Sankt Veit an der Glan|
Hochosterwitz is one of the best-preserved and most extensive castles of Austria.
The earliest written mention dates back to AD 860 (Astaruiza).
The family of Osterwitz received the hereditary office of cup-bearer from the Sponheimer Dukes of Carinthia. The last male heir of the family died after a Turkish invasion in 1475.
In 1571, Baron Georg Khevenhüller aquired the castle by purchase and heavily fortified the stronghold between 1570 and 1586.
He also built the fourteen gates and five drawbridges securing the path leading up to the castle. Since then, no major changes have been made to the castle. Until today, the castle has continuously
been owned by the Khevenhüller family.