|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
The market town Sankt Peter am Wimberg is situated at an elevation of 668 m in the upper Mühlviertel region of Upper Austria. It began to develop around AD 1000 on a trading route between the Danube river and the river Vltava (Moldau) in Bohemia. The oldest mentioning in a document dates from 1108. In 1122 St. Peter is already mentioned as an independent parish. During the Peasants' Rebellions of the 15th century (1525 and 1595) and the Peasants' War of 1626, St. Peter am Wimberg was one of the centres of the insurrections. Because of these uprisings, the town lost the privileges as a market town, which it had obtained at the beginning of the 13th century. The right to hold markets was granted again in 1800.
The parish church Sankt Peter [centre] goes back to a church that was consecrated in 1134 and replaced an earlier wooden chapel.
This church was destroyed by the Hussites around 1427. The present church of the late 15th century was consecrated in 1490. The Gothic church was remodelled in
Baroque style between about 1700 and 1750. One of the treasures of the church is the Rococo altar of St. Sebastian of 1768.