|Мачвански округ – Mačvanski okrug
The spa Banja Koviljača, also known as Kraljevska Banja (Royal spa), is situated on the river Drina in western Serbia, close to the border to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Banja Koviljača has a number of springs of sulphuric and ironbearing thermal mineral waters ranging from 21° to 38°C in temperature. The waters, and mud produced with the waters, are used for the treatment of chronic inflammations, bone and joint diseases, and neurovegetative disorders. It is the oldest spa in Serbia. Banja Koviljača has a population of about 6,300 (2002) and is part of the Loznica municipality.
Roman ruins, today named Koviljkin grad or Koviljka have been found nearby, and there are some claims that the name of this Roman settlement is Genzis, but this was never confirmed.
The first document mentioning the spa dates from 1533. In the 18th century, Turks from Mačva and Podrinje came to visit this region. Some documents state that in 1720 Turks
from the city of Zvornik built a medical bathroom for women named the 'stinking spa', due to the sulphuric water from the springs. A legend states that a caravan had been passing
in the area and had to leave its horse behind, collapsed from exhaustion, rolling in the mud. It is said that when the caravan returned, the horse had been cured.
The first chemical analysis of the water was performed in the year 1855. The first guest house was built in 1858 with ten rooms. In 1867, the spa won state protection.
The modern development of Banja Koviljača began in 1898, when a law was passed opening it to the people of the Podrinje district for exploration. Intensive development
occurred especially under the reign of King Peter I Karađorđević who founded the modern bath near his residential palace in 1908.
In 1930 Koviljača's jurisdiction was changed to the province Drinska Banovina (capital at Sarajevo). In 1941 the Drinska Banovina
was dissolved and Banja Koviljača returned to Serbia.
Until 1970 the sanatorium operated under the name "Natural Sanatorium Spa Koviljača". From 1970 to 1998, it was known as the "Institute for dissipated and post-traumatic conditions".
In 1980, a facility for therapy and amenities was added. Since 1998 it has been called the "Special hospital for rehabilitation Spa Koviljača". Medical services are provided by
physicians of the Institute of Discopathy.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banja_Koviljača, http://www.banjakoviljaca.rs/istorija-eng.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinska_banovina]
The pictures on glasses no. 898 [far left], no. 2705 [near left] and no. 4522 [right] show a view of the