|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
The market town Yspertal is situated at an elevation of 498 m in the valley of the river Große Ysper in western Lower Austria. The first mentioning in a document dates from 1307 and refers to that part of the town which later became known as Altenmarkt (old market) while the old name Ysper became the name of the new market on the western bank of the river. Altenmarkt and Ysper were joined in the municipality of Yspertal in 1972. On the 1st of January 2001 Yspertal also became the common place name for both parts of the municipality.
The parish church Sankt Maria Magdalena [centre] in Altenmarkt was originally built in Romanesque and early Gothic style. The chancel dates from the late Gothic period.
In 1743/44 the church was remodelled in Baroque style. The church was severely damaged during World War II by a bomb raid on 15 December 1944, but was restored after the war.