If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Pardubický kraj||Pardubice region|
Litomyšl is situated at an elevation of 374 m in East Bohemia. Already in the 10th century, a castle protected a trading route from Bohemia to Moravia. The settlement began to develop when a Benedictine abbey was founded here in 1090. The Benedictines were followed by Premonstratensian monks in 1145. The village received the status of a town in 1259. From 1344 on, Litomyšl was the seat of a bishopric. After the diocese had ceased to exist after the Hussite Wars of the 15th century, the new diocese of Hradec Kralové was created in 1664.
The castle of Litomyšl [left, no. 155: top left] goes back to the 10th century. It was transformed into a Renaissance château in 15681573. The castle theatre of the Late Baroque era is the second-oldest in Bohemia. It still owns stage decorations painted by Josef Platzer in the 18th century. Litomyšl castle was recognized as a World Cultural Heritage by the UNESCO in 1999 (see also list of other UNESCO heritage sites).
The Smetanův dům [right, no. 432: top] theatre and concert hall was opened in 1905. Named for the famous composer Bedřich SMETANA (18241884) who was born in Litomyšl, the theatre was recognized as a national monument in 1924.
The church of the Piarist monastery [left, no. 155: top right; right, no. 432: bottom, centre]
was built by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Alliprandi in 17091720. The monastery itself was founded in 1640.