If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Vysočina||Highlands (Jihlava) region|
Třebíč was began to develop in the 12th century near a Benedictine monastery which was founded in 1101. Already during the Middle Ages Třebíč was home of a large jewish community. Its jewish cemetery dates back to the 16th century. During the Hussite Wars Třebíč was besieged twice by the Hussite army and in 1468 it was conquered by King Matthias Corvinus of Hungary. The followers of the Hussites, the Moravian (or Bohemian) Brethren, had a large community at Třebíč.
The basilica of St. Procopius [left]
was built in 1240–1280 in Romanesque-Gothic style on the site of an older Virgin Mary's chapel of the Benedictine monastery.
The basilica was originally dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Saint Procopius became the Patron saint of the basilica on the quincentenary his canonization in 1704.
The basilica is the parish church of Třebíč castle, by which it is owned.
The basilica, together with the Jewish Quarter in Třebíč, were inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2003.
(See also list of UNESCO heritage sites depicted on glasses of this collection).
The railway bridge depicted on glass no. 206 [right] is likely to belong to the railway line 'Mährische Westbahn' from Brno/Brünn to Okříšky/Okrischko connecting the 'Nordwestbahn' (see also Znojmo) with the 'Kaiser-Ferdinand-Nordbahn' (see also Bohumín).
The village of Kožichovice (Kozichowitz), 3 km south-east of Třebíč,
is the birth place of Matthias ZDARSKY (18561940). He developed the fundamentals
of the modern alpine skiing technique in Lilienfeld in Lower Austria.