If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Sachsen||Saxony|
Kamenz is situated at an elevation of 173 m in the Lausitz region of Germany's state of Saxony. The municipality has a population of about 18,200 (2005).
At the location of today's old town a castle has been build to secure the crossing of route Via Regia and river Schwarze Elster at the end of the 12th century.
The Via Regia was an important trade route between Belgium and Silesia. In 1225 the town was mentioned the first time and in 1319 it became independent.
The League of six towns of Upper Lusatia ("Oberlausitzer Sechsstädtebund": Bautzen, Zittau, Görlitz, Kamenz,
Löbau and Lauban (Lubań, PL)) has been founded by Kamenz and five other lusatian towns for protection against robber barons in 1346.
In 1707 a fire destroyed large parts of the old town. The philosopher and poet Gotthold Ephraim Lessing was born in Kamenz in 1729.
[Text adapted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamenz]
The Town Hall [top picture] was built in 18481849 in Italian Renaissance revival style. The architect was Carl August Schramm, a native of Zittau.
The bottom left picture on glass no. 2304 shows a view of the
The bottom right picture on the glass shows a view of the
The picture on glass no. 2569 [near left] shows the