Niklasdorf is situated at an elevation of 521 m on the river Mur. The original name, Michilindorf, was first mentioned in a papal document of 1148. This name is derived from the Old German word mihhill, which means great. From 1790 on, the name of the municipality was Micheldorf (after a chapel of the Archangel Michael). Only since the 1880s, the modern name Niklasdorf (derived from the patron saint of the parish church) is in use.
Other glass(es) in this collection from places with the same name:
Niklasdorf is also the previous German name of Mikulovice in the Czech Republic.