Bad Tatzmannsdorf is situated at an elevation of 341 m in the district Oberwart in southern Burgenland. The municipality has a population of about 1,300 (2009).
The oldest document mentioning Tarcsa dates from 1378. The earliest mention of the mineral springs is found in the Regensburg chronicle of 1621. A bathhouse was erected in 1650 which marked the beginning of the spa. Count Lajos Batthyány obtained the spa in 1752. Under Count Ferenc Batthyány, Tatzmannsdorf (hungarian: Tarcsafürdő) became the most important spa in the Kingdom of Hungary. The predicate Bad (spa) was awarded in 1926. The alkaline iron-containing waters and mud are used in the treatment of heart, circulatory and rheumatic diseases.
[left and right]
was built in 1894/1895.
Glasses no. 1199 and 2826 [left and right]
show a view of the spa's central square,
The mineral waters were obtained from the two springs Maxquelle and Karlsquelle [near left, no. 542]. Moor was used for mud-baths since 1889. In 1964, the Marienquelle, also supplying mineral water, was found by drilling. In 1988 thermal water was found at a depth of about 1,000 m.
The Hotel Batthyány [near left, no. 769: background]
was built in 1904/1907. The historical building was replaced by a modern hotel in 2013. The new hotel
now operates under the name "Kurhotel 2".