The pilgrimage church Mariä Heimsuchung (Visitation of Our Lady) originated 1446–1486. This church was replaced by the present church between 1678 and 1681. The magnificent high altar of 1767 is ornated with several statues by the sculpture Veit Königer (1729-1792) and also houses the statue of Our Lady from the 15th century. The monastery of the Franciscans was founded in 1455. The present building which forms a complex with the church was erected between 1656 and 1665. The monastery was closed in 1785 by Emperor Joseph II.
The castle of Maria Lankowitz [left, no. 148: background right] was begun in 1440. It belonged to Emperor Friedrich III for a short period in 1459/60. Later, it was owned by the Counts of Herberstein between 1511 and 1634. After that it was in the posession of the monastery of Stainz. Between 1855 and 1985 it was used as a prison. A renovation in 1993 aimed at revitalising the castle as a complex for residential and commercial units. A small museum on the history of the castle and the municipality was opened in 1998.