|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Kaumberg is situated at an elevation of 494 m in the upper Traisen valley of southern Lower Austria. Kaumberg was chartered as a market town in 1580.
The Gothic parish church Heiliger Erzengel Michael [top left] is located on a hill above the town. The choir dates from around 1400, the tower was completed in 1502.
The Araburg castle [background top, barely visible]
was built around 1180 and was first mentioned in 1190/1209. Since 1625 it was in possession of the monastery of
Lilienfeld. The castle was destroyed in 1683 by Turkish invaders. Parts of the ruins
were restored during the 20th century.