Gratkorn is located on the left bank of the tiver Mur just northwest of the Styrian capital, Graz. The earlies traces of human inhabitation dates back to the stone ages about 80,000 years ago. The first planned settlements seemed to have been founded around AD 600 by Slavic settlers, who were followed by early Bavarians in the 8th century. Their settlements at Gratkorn and Gratwein at the opposite bank of the Mur river likely are the "duo loca ad Strazinolum" ("the two places near Straßengel") mentioned in a document of 860, which mentions the donation of the area by King Ludwig the German to the archdiocese of Salzburg. The earliest mention of the name Gratkorn is found in a document of 1449 ("S. Stephan in Krakorn") and refers to the parish church of St. Stephan, which itself was first mentioned in 1390. After the abolision of serfdom the municipality of St. Stephan am Gratkorn was founded in 1849 (before that it was administered by Peggau). The name of the municipality was changed to Gratkorn in 1907. In 1922, Gratkorn obtained the status of a market town.
The picture on glass no. 1548 [left] shows the