The first settlements in the area of Murau are documented by archeological finds from the Bronze Age. Further finds date from Roman times. Founded by the Liechtenstein family (unrelated to the Princes of Liechtenstein), the first documents mention the name in 1250. The town received the freedom of the city in 1298. In the Middle Ages it was a trading place for iron and salt. The formerly independent municipality of Stolzalpe was incoporated into Murau on 1 January 2015.
Above the city, the castle Schloss Obermurau [top left] was erected in 1628–1630 replacing the remainders of the old Liechtenstein castle. The castle is owned by the Schwarzenberg family.
The parish church St. Matthäus [centre top] dates from 1296 and contains frescoes from the 14th and 15th century and a crucifixion of around 1500.
The labelling on glass no. 621 [right] actually contains a mistake: on the bottom it reads