|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
|Bezirk: Krems an der Donau|
Albrechtsberg an der Großen Krems is situated at an elevation of 686 m at the river Große Krems in the district Krems an der Donau in northwestern Lower Austria. Albrechtsberg has a population of about 1,100 (2001).
The castle was first mentioned in a document of 1230 which also for the first time mentions the name Albrechtsperge. There are some indications that the castle might already have been founded around 1100, but the earliest reliable sources date from the 13th century. Two villages soon were founded below the castle. In the 14th century the castle came in possession of the Starhemberg dynasty who sold it to the counts of Neidegg in 1377 who remained in possession of it for the following 150 years. During the Hussite wars the castle was damaged and had to be restored in the 15th century. After 1527 the castle, now in possession of the Peuckham family, was rebuilt and extended as a residential castle. As the owners were Protestant, the castle was again davastated by Imperial troops during the Thirty Years' War in 1619. From 1695 until the 1950s the castle was owned by the Lempruch family. Even today, the castle is privately owned. Only the castle chapel, rebuilt in 1765/1770, which is used as the parish church of Albrechtsberg is open to the public.