|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
The market town Kirchberg am Wechsel is situated at an elevation of 581 m in the Feistritz valley at the northern foot of the Wechsel mountains in southeastern Lower Austria.
The spacious parish church Sankt Jakob der ältere (St. James the Greater) [left] was built in Baroque style in 1754/75 as the church of the former convent of the Augustinian Canons nuns. The parish itself was established in 1124. The convent was founded prior to 1236 and was dissolved in 1782. The interior decorations in fine Rococo style date from around 1760.
The fortified church Sankt Wolfgang [right, barely visible] was built around 1420 in Late Gothic style on a hill outside the village. According to a legend, the first church was founded by St. Wolfgang in AD 970. It was partly demolished in the 18th century, but was restored in 1860–1862 and in 1925–1928.
The famous Austrian philospher Ludwig WITTGENSTEIN (1889–1951) worked as a primary school teacher in several villages in the area of Kirchberg am Wechsel between 1920 and 1926. A small museum in Kirchberg is devoted to the work of Wittgenstein both as a teacher and philosopher.