Biberwier is situated at an elevation of 989 m at the southern edge of the Lermooser Moos near the Fernpass which connects the Außerfern area (district Reutte) with the core parts of Tyrol. The municipality has a population of about 630 (2012).
Archeological finds from the Roman period show its importance being located on the Via Claudia Augusta which connected the area that today is southern Germany with Northern Italy. The oldest written document that mentions Piberwure dates from 1287. In 1556 the place was mentioned as a 'community' for the first time. From the Middle Ages on, mining for silver, lead and zinc ores was done at Schachtkopf und Wampaten Schrofen. The 18th century was the flourishing period for mining in this place. The mining activities were officially stopped in 1884, but to a small degree were nevertheless continued until 1938. Since 2004, the "Montan-Wanderweg Siberleithen" (mining hiking trail) develops the former mining area for tourism. Coal, ichtyol and manganese were mined since 1875 at the Wanning, but these activities also came to an end in 1950. The Leermoss Tunnel, opened in 1984, now relieves the town from the former heavy transit traffic. Today, Biberwier is a biseasonal tourism community offering both winter (skiing resort Marienbergjoch) and summer (swimming lakes Blindsee, Mittersee and Weißensee) tourism activities.
The parish church Sankt Josef goes back to a small chapel of St Joseph which had been built in 1682. At that time Biberwier still belonged to the parish of Lermoos. In 1686 the chapel became the seat of a chaplain and in 1690 of a curate. The present church was built in 1827–1830. In 1830, St. Joseph became a branch (Expositur) of the parish at Lermoos as it became independent in the pastoral care although the financial matters were still administered by Lermoos. In 1864 it became a quasi-parish ("Kuratie") and, finally, in 1891 an independent parish.
The mountain depicted in the background of the picture on glass no. 2761 is the