|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Gaaden is situated at an elevation of 323 m in the northern Wienerwald (Vienna Forest) region at the foot of the Anninger mountain about 7 km southwest of of the district town Mödling. The municipality of Gaaden has a population of about 1,600 (2013).
Gaaden was first mentioned in written document in 1130. Since 1376 it belonged to the monastery of Heiligenkreuz.
For centuries the main source of income for the inhabitants had been logging and limestone quarrying, which became esecially important
in the mid-19th century when the natural resources were in high demand due to the extensive building activities in Vienna
following the demolition of the old town fortifications and the construction of new town quarters. About the same time Gaaden became a popular
summer resort. Ferdinand Raimund, one of Austria's best-known actors and dramatists of the period, wrote his famous play "Der Verschwender"
(1834; 'The Prodigal') in Gaaden. In 1938, following the annexation of Austria by Germany, Gaaden was incorporated into Groß-Wien (Greater Vienna)
as part of the new 24th district (Mödling; see map). In 1954, the entire district was returned to Lower Austria.
The Catholic parish church Heiliger Jakobus der ältere (St. James the Greater) [left]
goes back to the 12th century. The present church was built in 1740. The high altar was created by Giovanni Giuliani.