|județ Harghita||Harghita County|
Băile Tușnad (Hungarian: Tusnádfürdő, German: Bad Tuschnad) is situated at an elevation of 650 m in Harghita County in the southern reaches of the Ciuc depression, between the Harghita and Bodoc mountains, in the valley of the Olt, and is to this day an important spa town. As of the census of 2011, the population of the town is 1,617, which makes it the smallest town in Romania by population; it has a Székely Hungarian majority with 1,460 (90.3%) Hungarians. There are also small communities of ethnic Romanians (6.9%) and Romani (2.6%).
The town and the surrounding area are famous for their spas and mineral waters received from seven springs. Nearby is Lake Sfânta Ana, a famous volcanic crater lake, the only one of its kind in Romania. The water has long been used for bathing by the Székely people. The most probable date for the founding of the bathing station is 1842. A company was founded to develop the springs in 1845. The bathing station was destroyed in the skirmishes of 1849, but Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph, on visiting the town in 1852, ordered the reconstruction of the baths. The rapid development of the town began after 1860. Lake Csukás (now: Ciucaș) was artificially created in 1900, and several new hotels town were built in the 1970s.
The settlement was historically part of the Székely Land area of Transylvania and belonged to Csíkszék district until the
administrative reform of Transylvania in 1876, when it fell within Csík County in the Kingdom of Hungary. After the
Treaty of Trianon of 1920, it became part of Romania and fell within Ciuc County during the interwar period. In 1940,
the second Vienna Award granted the Northern Transylvania to Hungary and it was held by Hungary until 1944.
After the Soviet occupation, the Romanian administration returned and the town became officially part of Romania in 1947.
Between 1952 and 1960, the commune fell within the Magyar Autonomous Region, between 1960 and 1968 the Mureș-Magyar
Autonomous Region. In 1968, the province was abolished, and since then, the commune, as a town, has been part of Harghita County.