|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Královéhradecký kraj||Hradec Králové region|
|Okres: Rychnov nad Kněžnou|
Dobruška is situated at an elevation of 287 m on the Zlatý potok ('golden creek') in the northwest of the district Rychnov nad Kněžnou of the Hradec Králové region of eastern Bohemia. The municipality has a population of about 6,700 (2019).
Fromerly known as Leštno, the first written ention of Dobrusca dates from 1312. In 1364 Dobruška
obtained the privileges of a town according to Magdeburg Law. In 1455 it was mentioned as belonging
to the domains of Opočno. The following decades were a flowering period for the town.
Following a large fire in 1565 the town was rebuilt in Renaissance style. After the Hussite Wars (1419–1436) almost
the entire population had converted to the Utraquist faith, and in the early 17th century it was a centre of Protestantism
in eastern Bohemia. In the 19th century, Dobruška was a centre of the Czech National Revival, of which the local
merchant František Vladislav Hek was an important figure. The Czech writer Alois Jirásek set Hek a literary
monument with his five-volume novel
The town hall [background] was built in Renaissance style in the 2nd half of
the 16th century.