Jihočeský kraj South Bohemia (České Budějovice) region
Okres: Český Krumlov  



lt: Kaplicės de: Kaplitz
bg, ru, sr: Каплице

4257 Kaplice Kaplice (German: Kaplitz) is situated at an elevation of 537 m on the left bank of the river Malše (Malsch), about 16 km southeast of the district town Český Krumlov and about 20 km south of the regional capital, České Budějovice. The municipality has a population of about 7,200 (2021).

Capliz was first mentioned in a written document in 1257 where it was refered to as a possession of the monastery of Milevsko. It was founded as the market village on an important trade route, connecting Upper Austria with South Bohemia. In the 13th century, it became a part of Porešín estate, founded by the lords of Strakonice. In 1382, Kaplice became a town with all the town privileges, but remained under the influence of lords of Porešín until 1387. In 1434 it came in possession of the lords of Rosenberg (Rožmberk). After the death of the last male heir of that family, the estates were acquired by the lords of Schwanberg (Švamberk). After the Battle of the White Mountain (Bílá hora, today in Prague) in 1620, the family was expropriated and the estates were handed over to the counts Bucquoy. Against the intentions of the owners, the privileges of the town were confirmed in 1653. After the abolishment of manorialism, Kaplice became the administrative seat of the district of the same name, which existed until 1960 when it was merged into the district Český Krumlov. In 1900, about 91% of the population were German-speaking. After World War I, Kaplice became part of Czechoslovakia. In 1936 it obtained the status of a town. After World War II, the German-speaking population was expropriated and expelled.

The church of St. Peter and Paul [left, no. 0000: centre left] was first mentioned in 1257. The presbytery of the present church dates from the 14th century. The church was destroyed during the Hussite Wars in 1423 and restored, after repairs, again in 1507. Thereafter it was rebuilt again in Baroque style. Between 1735 and 1740, the tower was raised, and a clock was installed in the tower in 1895. In 1868, a new sacristy was built on the east side of the church and the chancel in the north aisle was removed. In 1912, the church was renovated.

[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaplice, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaplice; https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostel_svat%C3%A9ho_Petra_a_Pavla_(Kaplice)]

contact: webmaster