|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Zlínský kraj||Zlín region|
The district town Zlín is situated at an elevation of 250 m on the river Dřevnice in eastern South Moravia.
The history of the town goes back to the Middle Ages. The first written mention of Zlín is found in a document of 1332.
Privileges were granted to Zlín in 1397 and in 1509. An important event for the economic history of the town was the foundation in 1894 of the
The famous English playwright Tom Stoppard (birth name: Straussler) was born in Zlín in 1939.
The church of St. Philip and St. James [left, no.῁510: background]
is the Roman-Catholic parish church of Zlín. The original church of the 14th century (c. 1390–1420)
was rebuilt several times. A major reconstruction took place at the beginning of the 19th century, when the orientation
of the church was changed from east to south, due to its insufficient capacity and the impossibility of expanding the
original church to the east. The church tower remained in its original place. The church was hit by devastating fires in
1819 and 1849. Its current appearance dates from the period after the second fire in the second half of the 19th century.
The Zlín department store [near left, no. 3914]
was built in 1932 as one one of the first buildings in the newly formed náměstí Práce
(Prague square). The overall architectural concept of the building was devalued by alterations from the 1970s.