|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Královéhradecký kraj||Hradec Králové region|
Kost castle is situated in the beautiful surroundings of the Český ráj (Bohemian Paradise) and is one of the best-preserved castles in Bohemia. It was built by Beneš of Vartemberk in the middle of the 14th century (first mentioned in 1358), and finished by his son Petr towards the end of that century. The centre of the castle is the impressive, six-storey keep, called the 'White tower'. St. Anne's chapel holds original stained-glass windows from late 14th/early 15th century. Around 1500, the west wing of the castle was remodelled. The 'Biberštejn palace' was added next to the road leading up to the castle in the mid-16th century. The outer fortified buildings were added after 1585. The famous Albrecht of Wallenstein (Valdštejn) wanted to transform the castle into a fortified château, but he was assinated in Cheb (Eger) in 1634 and his plans were never carried out. From the 17th century onward, the castle was mostly used for agricultural purposes, e.g. as wheat stock. One of the most interesting features of the castle is its huge, well-preserved kitchen from the Renaissance period. Since the 1960s, the castle is home of a permanent exhibition of works from the Late Gothic period of the Czech National Gallery.
Kost castle is also depicted on glass no. 3672 [right: top left piture], a souvenir from
Sobotka, located about 4 km to the southeast.