The Augustinian Canons' monastery of Vorau
was founded by Margrave Otakar III of Styria in 1163.
It was the first filial monastery of the Augustinian Canon's monastery of Seckau.
The buildings of the monastery and the church were remodelled between 1625 and the middle
of the 18th century retaining the towers of the Romanesque period.
The church (St. Thomas) contains valuable frescos from the
early and mid-18th century and also serves as parish church of Vorau.
One of the greatest treasures of Vorau is the
library which is one of the most important monasterial libraries of Austria.
The main hall of the library (two stories high and 24 m in length) is ornated with
frescos of 1731 showing biblical scenes representing jurisprudence, theology and philosophy.
In contrast to many other monasteries in Austria, the monastery of Vorau was not closed
by Emperor Joseph II and is still inhabited by Augustinian Canons.