|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Jihočeský kraj||South Bohemia (České Budějovice) region|
Písek is situated at an elevation of 378 m on the river Otava and was first mentioned in a document of 1243. The gold that was found in the sand of the river Otava (the czech word písek means sand or gravel) was the basis of rapid growth and development to an important trading place. In the 15th century, Písek was a stronghold of the Hussites. During the Thirty Years' War the town was besieged and conquered several times. In 1620 it was completely destroyed by the Imperial army and the majority of the inhabitants were killed. During the 19th century the town grew rapidly and became a popular holiday resort. The old town centre of Písek has protected as a historic site.
The deanery church Birth of Our Lady [centre background] dates back to the mid-13th century. One of the two towers was heightened in 1489 and now has a height of 70 m. It received four new bells in 1992 and 1992.
The Column of Our Lady [centre right], which is surrounded by a group of nine scupltures representing various saints, was created in 1715 as a sign of gratitude that the town was spared by the plague that had hit Bohemia in 1715.
The house U Černého orla ('To the Black Eagle') [left],
was built in 1889–1890 in Renaissance revival style for the local Civic Loan Fund. Today it houses a
pharmacy and various medical institutions.
The Czech poet Adolf Heyduk (1835–1923) was born in Písek.