If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Freistaat Thüringen||Thuringia|
Bad Lobenstein is situated at an elevation of 496 m in the south of the Saale-Orla district of southern Thuringia.
The earliest written mention of Lobenstein is found in a document of 1250 and refers to a stronghold
which was founded by the Lords of Lobdeburg between 950 and 1150. By 1369 (or maybe even by 1278)
Lobenstein had obtained the status of a town.
A burgomaster and council had existed as early as 1411. Since 1597 Lobenstein was in possession of the
lords (later counts and princes) of Reuß. From 1647 on it was residence of the counts (1673 counts, 1790 princes)
of Reuß-Lobenstein. In 1824 Lobenstein became part of Reuß-Ebersdorf.
When the last prince of Reuß-Ebersdorf abdicated in 1848, it passed to Reuß-Schleiz
upon which the unified principality of Reuß Younger Line with its new residence at Gera was formed.
Most of the historic buildings of Lobenstein were destroyed by a large fire in 1862.
The railroad from Lobenstein to Triptis was opened in 1896,
the railroad to Saalfeld/Saale followed in 1907.
On 21 March 2005 the predicate 'Bad' was added to the name of the town to recognize its
status as a spa town.