If you came to this page directly and do not see a navigation frame on top, please go to the home page.
|Bundesland: Niedersachsen||Lower Saxony|
|Landkreis: Osterode am Harz|
Herzberg am Harz is situated at an elevation of 240 m in the south of the district Osterode am Harz near the rivers Sieber and Lonau south of the Harz mountains. Herzberg is located about 30 km northeast of Göttingen and 90 km southeast of Hannover. The municipality of Herzberg am Harz has a population of about 13,600 (2011) and also includes the villages Lonau, Pöhlde, Scharzfeld and Sieber.
Herzfeld Castle was first mentioned in 1154, the village of Herzberg was first mentioned in 1337 but it is assumed that it was founded much earlier. During the Middle Ages the name of the village was recored as Hircesberg, Hirzberch and Hertsberg. Between 1291 and 1596 it was part of a principality that was ruled by a collateral line of the Guelph dynasty, which after that period was refered to as the principality of Braunschweig-Grubenhagen. After the death it 1596 of the last duke, the territory was at first occupied by Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel but in 1617 was finally awarded to Braunschweig-Lüneburg. Herzberg became the centre of an administrative district of the same name in 1315, which in 1859 was merged with the district Scharzfels. Together with the entire kingdom of Hannover, Herzberg became part of Prussia (Province Hannover) in 1866. The town was granted the official status as a city in 1929. The community of Lonauerhammerhütte, formerly part of the district Zellerfeld, was incorporated into Herzfeld in 1937, followed in 1972 by the municipalities of Lonau, Pöhlde, Scharzfeld and Sieber.
Herzberg castle [left] was first mentioned in 1154 in a deed of donation issued by Duke Heinrich 'the Lion' of Saxony. It is one of very few castles in Lower Saxony that were built in lattice framework technique. The castle was built in place of a medieval stronghold which had its origins in the early 11th century and had been destroyed by a Large fire in 1510. Between 1158 and 1866 the castle had been continuously in possession of the Guelph dynasty and hence it is usually refered to as "Welfenschloss" (Guelph castle). After 1290 it was on the homes of the dukes of the principality of Braunschweig-Grubenhagen; from 1490 it was the formal residence of the dukes until the line became extinct in 1596. Thereafter, it came in possession of Braunschweig-Lüneburg. In 1714 it formally lost its status of a residence castle. Since 1882 it is the home of the district court Herzberg.
[http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzberg_am_Harz, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Herzberg, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BCrstentum_Grubenhagen]