|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
|Bezirk: Waidhofen an der Thaya|
Waidhofen an der Thaya is situated at an elevation of 510 m on an terrace above the river Thaya in the northern Waldviertel region of Lower Austria. Waidhofen was first mentioned in a document in 1171 (Waidehouen), and in 1337 had obtained the status of a town. At that time, Waidhofen was part of a defense line against Bohemia together with the cities Weitra, Drosendorf and Litschau. The medieval parts of Waidhofen were almost completely destroyed by a large fire in 1873; the town had to be built anew after that.
The parish church Sankt Maria Magdalena [centre] was erected at the highest point of the town.
THe church was built in Baroque style in 1716–1723 and replaced the earlier Gothic church.