|ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Středočeský kraj||Central Bohemia region|
Svatá Hora (the Holy Mountain) above the city of Příbram is one of the most important sites of pilgrimage in Bohemia. The basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady and the adjacent buildings in splendid Baroque style were built in 1661–1673 for the Jesuits by the architect Carlo Lurago. Since 1730 a roofed staircase with 365 steps and a length of 460 m leads up to the church on the hill at an elevation of 587 m. The first Marian chapel was erected here as early as 1260. In the 14th century, Arnošt (Ernst) of Pardubice, the first archbishop of Prague and counsellor of Emperor Karl IV, donated a wooden black Madonna which he, according ot the legend, had carved himself. The statue received a crown by permission of Pope Clemens XII in 1732. In 1990 the Holy Mountain was returned to the care of the Order of the Redemptorists.
Glass no. 3316 [near left] is a souvenir from both Svatá Hora [top picture]
and Příbram [bottom picture].