|Banskobystrický kraj||Banská Bystrica region|
Sliač is situated at an elevation of 350 m in the valley of the river Hron (Hungarian: Garam, German: Gran) near Zvolen in the Banská Bystrica region of central Slovakia. The place was mentioned for the first time in a document of 1245. As early as in the 16th century the place was known as a spa (Teplicae). Sliaè soon became one of the most popular spas of the Kingdom of Hungary and the Austrian Empire. Famous people like the Hungaria revolutionary Lajos Kossuth, the Austrian playwright Franz Grillparzer, Czechoslovakia's first president Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk and many others were guests in the spa. The thermal waters (13–33°C) are used primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular and circulatory diseases. The municipality Sliač was formed by merging of the villages Sliač-kúpele, Hájniky and Rybáre.
The Spa Hotel Palace [left, no. 3518] is one of the most important
works of the architect Rudolph Stockar, who also drew up a master plan for the spa in 1929. The hotel was built in two
stages and stands at the northern end of the spa complex. The first stage was built in 1927–1931 as a seven-storey
building, the second stage followed in 1931–1937 five-storey accommodation wing. In 1998 the Palace complex was
declared a national cultural heritage monument.