|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
The market town Lunz am See is situated at an elevation of 605 m on the river Ois, the headstream of the river Ybbs, in the Scheibbs district of southwestern Lower Austria. Lunz was first mentioned in a document in 1203. The lakes Lunzer See, Mittersee and Obersee (elevation 1,113 m) and the surrounding mountains have made Lunz a popular summer resort.
The parish church Heilige Drei Könige (Holy Three Magi) [bottom right, barely visible] was built in the late 15th century in Gothic style.
The two naves have an impressive size (length 36 m, height 19 m).
Originally, the church was dedicated to Our Lady (Maria im goldenen Sessel, Our Lady in the Golden Chair) and was a popular pilgrimage site on the old pilgrimage route
to Mariazell. The statue of the Madonna with Child dating from the 15th century still bears the marks of a damage caused by a Turkish sabre in 1529.
After the alteration in Baroque style in 1753 the church was dedicated to the Holy Three Magi, a rare dedication in Europe.
At the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, the church was renovated in Neo-Gothic style. A further renovation in 1952 aimed at restoring the original Gothic character of the church.