|Bundesland: Oberösterreich||Upper Austria|
Thalheim bei Wels is situated at an elevation of 315 m on the right bank of the river Traun, opposit the city of Wels. Already the Romans had built a fort on the Reinberg hill in order to protect the bridge across the river. The name Thalham was first mentioned in a document of AD 927. During the Middle Ages, Thalham became an trading town due to its location at this important river crossing. The municipality of Thalheim was formed in 1875 by merging Thalheim with neighbouring villages. The former wooden bridge was destroyed by the river in 1899, and was replaced by an iron bridge in 1901. This bridge is still in use today. Plans of 1938 to combine Thalheim with Wels into a single city were abandoned because of protests of the citizens.
Although the picture on glass no. 273 is labelled Wels, most of the buildings shown in the picture actually are part of Thalheim (only the top right part of the picture shows the city of Wels).
The Marien-Warte [top left] on the Reinberg was built in 1892. The lookout tower has a height of 23 m.
Glass no. 1674 [near left] also is a souvenir from Wels. However, the top left inset shows a view of the
Another glass in this collection is a souvenir from Thalheim / Erzgeb., Germany.