|Bundesland: Niederösterreich||Lower Austria|
Sieding is situated at an elevation of 449 m (1,656 ft) in the valley of the Sierning stream of southern Lower Austria. In 1969 Sieding-Stixenstein became part of the municipality of Ternitz.
Stixenstein castle [background] is situated at an elevation of 505 m (1,656 ft) on a promontory above the Sierning valley. The castle goes back to the 12th century. The earliest document mentioning its name dates from 1186. It was the ancestral seat of the Stüchse (ministers to the sovereigns). The ruins of the Gothic chapel and other parts were added around 1343. Since 1548 the castle was owned by the Counts Hoyos who added the lower castle. Most parts of the castle were destroyed by fire in the 18th century; another fire destroyed the remaining parts in 1802. The city of Vienna bought the ruins in 1937. Since 1996 the ruins are adapted for public use.