Egg is situated at an elevation of 561 m in the Bregenzerwald region of Vorarlberg, about 15 km southeast of the province's capital, Bregenz. The municipality has a population of about 3,400 (2008).
The oldest written mention of Anderegge is found in a document of 1275. Being part of the Austrian possessions, the region was administered either by Tyrol (Innsbruck) or by Anterior Austria (Freiburg). During the Napoleonic times, from 1805 until 1814, the region was part of Bavaria. The congress of Vienna restored the country to Austria in 1815.
The parish church Sankt Nikolaus [background right] is one of the oldest parishes in the Bregenzerwald.
The present church was rebuilt in 1891–1892.