Kranj is situated at an elevation of 358 m in the Gorenjska plain where the Kokra flows into the Sava river. With a population of about 37,400 (2015) Kranj is the fourth-largest town in Slovenia (after Ljubljana, Maribor and Celje). It is also the centre of the city municipality of Kranj (population about 55,500) nd of the traditional region of Upper Carniola (northwestern Slovenia)
Kranj was attested in written sources in the 5th century and c. 670 as Carnium (and as via Chreinariorum in 973, actum Kreine in 1050–65, in loco Chreina in 1065–77, and Chrainburch in 1291). Traces of the old Slavic settlement date from the 9th and 10th centuries. As the seat of the margraves of Carniola in the 11th century, it was the most important settlement in the territory. The town itself is believed to have developed in the early 13th century. Kranj was officially referred to as a town in 1256. It was the seat of a court whose jurisdiction extended between that of Radovljica and Kamnik. Kranj went into an economic decline in the 17th century and business did not revive again until the second half of the 18th century. Trade in agricultural products, livestock, and wood was economically most important until the late 19th century. In 1918, Kranj became part of the Kingdom of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs (1929 Kingdom of Yugoslavia). Large-scale industrialisation only occurred from the 1920s onwards. Today, Kranj is a mainly industrial city with significant electronics and rubber industries.
The St. Cantianus and Companions Parish Church [background right]
is the largest church in Kranj and also the seat of the Kranj Parish and Deaconates. It was built in the 14th century,
commissioned by the counts of Kranj.