During the time of Roman rule between the 1st and the 6th century a town called Emona stood at the site of present day Ljubljana. Ljubljana itself is first mentioned in a document from 1144. During the 13th century it became the capital of Carniola. In 1269 it became part of the Austrian countries as Ottokar II Přemysl, king of Bohemia and duke of Austria and Styria, also became duke of Carinthia and Carniola. During the Napoleonic era, Ljubljana was the capital of the Illyrian Provinces (1809-1816) which consisted of East Tyrol, Carinthia, Carniola, Görz (Gorizia) and Gradisca, Trieste, and parts of Croatia south of the river Sava. Austria regained these countries in 1816 after the Congress of Vienna as the Kingdom of Illyria which was subsequently dissolved into the Duchies of Carinthia, Carniola and the Litoral. After World War I in 1918, Ljubljana became the capital of Slovenia in the Kingdom of the Serb, Croats and Slovenes. The work of architect Jože Plečnik changed the urban design of the city, transforming the former provincial city into the symbolic capital of the people of Slovenia; his architectural work in Ljubljana was inscribed in the UNESCO list of World Cutural Heritage sites in 2021. (see also list of other UNESCO heritage sites depicted on glasses of this collection) After World War II in 1945 Slovenia became one of the six republics in the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Following the war of 1991, Ljubljana is now the capital of the independent Republic of Slovenia.
The Town Hall (Mestna hiša or Rotovž) in Mestni trg (Town Square) [left no. 2794: centre right]
is the seat of the City Municipality of Ljubljana. The original building was built in a Gothic style in 1484. Between 1717 and 1719, the building
underwent a Baroque renovation with a Venetian inspiration by the architect Gregor Maček.
Ljubljana Cathedral (Ljubljanska stolnica) [left no. 2794: background], also named Saint Nicholas Church (cerkev svetega Nikolaja, šenklavška cerkev) is located on a site that originally occupied by an aisled three-nave Romanesque church, the oldest mention of which dates from 1262. An extensive fire in 1361 saw it refurbished in the Gothic style but the church underwent alterations when the Diocese of Ljubljana was established in 1461 and the church became a cathedral. However, in 1469 it was burnt down again. In 1700 the Capuchin friar Florentianus Ponnensis from Milan or Bologna designed a new Baroque hall church. The following year, after the construction already started, the plan was revised and complemented by the Jesuit architect Andrea Pozzo who designed it as a basilica and added to it a dome. The two belfries, resembling of the Salzburg Cathedral, were added upon the plan by Lombard Giulio Quaglio. The construction was completed in 1706, the first worship took place in the new building in August 1706, and the consecration took place on 8 May 1707. Originally, a fake dome was painted on the arch above the centre until the church's real dome was constructed by Matej Medved in 1841. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana_Town_Hall]
Tivoli Castle (Grad Tivoli) is located in Tivoli park of Ljubljana.
Its history dates back to the 13th century when a tower owned by the dukes of Carinthia stood here.
In 1442 it was destroyed during battles between the dukes of Celje (Cilli) and Emperor Friedrich II.
Following the building of a new castle its owners changed frequently until it was donated to the Jesuits
in 1607 by Emperor Ferdinand II. The Jesuits completely transformed the castle into a mansion
and also built a theatre behind the building. When the Jesuit order was dissolved in 1773 by order of
Emperor Joseph II it became the residence of the bishop of Ljubljana. Later it was used as barracks
as barracks. Emperor Franz Josef I restored the building and gave it to Field-Marshal Johann Count Radetzky.
Radetzky returned the building to Franz Josef in 1856 who then sold it to the city of Ljubljana.
After World War II the building was filled with tenants. After restoration the building is now
used as the headquarters of the International Centre of Graphic Arts.