Bad Mitterndorf is situated on a plateau (809 m) between the valley of the river Enns in the south and the Styrian Salzkammergut (Bad Aussee) in the north The first mentioning is found in a document of 1147. Archeological finds, however, prove that the thermal springs had already been used by the Romans. Today it is an active health resort and also a centre for both summer and winter tourism. The predicate 'Bad' was awarded in 1972.
The village is dominated by the parish church Sankt Margaretha (documented 1335 as parish, from 1420 in posession of the canons' convent of Wiener Neustadt, from 1491 owned by the Order of St. George in Millstatt, 1577–1773 assigned to the Jesuites of Graz). The church in late Gothic style was built in the 14th (nave) and 15th (chancel, vaulting) centuries. The painting "Beheading of St. Barbara" by Martin Johann Schmidt (Kremser Schmidt) is one of the treasures of the church.
The Grimming (2,351 m) was long thought to be the highest mountain in Styria
because of its massive appearance from the Enns valley.