Olomoucký kraj Olomouc region
Okres: Přerov  



de: Tobitschau lv: Tovačova lt: Tovačovas
bg, ru, sr, uk: Товачоб

4121 Tovačov Tovačov (in German: Tobitschau) is situated at an elevation of 201 m in the Haná ethnographic region in central Moravia, about 13 km west of the district town Přerov and about 19 km south of the regional capital Olomouc. The municipality has a population of about 4,500 (2021).

Tovačov was first mentioned in writing in 1203, the church of St. George was first mentioned in 1297. In 1359 it received a town charter according to Magedburg Law. In the 15th century it became a Hussite fortress and a centre of Moravian cultural life. Jews who had been expelled from Olomouc were allowed to settle here in 1454. In 1473 the town obtained market rights. The town was largely destroyed in 1619 during the Thirty Years's War (1618–1648), but was rebuilt thereafter. On 15 July 1866, the last battle of the Austro-Prussian War was fought in the area. During the period of the Nazi occupation between 1941 and 1945, the town became a centre for the Germanisation of the Haná region.

Tovačov castle [left], originally a moated castle, was rebuilt as a Renaissance château at the end of the 15th century. Soon after, in 1502, when the original owners, the lords of Cimburk had died out, it came in possession of the lords of Pernštejn. In 1600 the château was bought by the counts Salm-Neuburg who further expanded it. From 1763 it was in possession of the counts of Kuenburg. When the family eventually moved to Střílky in the 19th century, the castle was abandoned. In 1887 it was purchased by the industrialist David Guttmann who repaired the castle until 1902. On that occasion the central tower was raised to its present height. In 1890, a sugar factory was founded in the castle. The family was forced by the Nazis to emigrate to Switzerland in 1939 due to their Jewish origins. After the proclamation of the protectorate, Tovacov came under German administration and the castle housed the Imperial Labor Service, which then became the center of Germanisation of the whole of Haná region. After World War II the Czechoslovak Ministry of Agriculture took over the management of the large estate. The previous owners, the Guttmann family, negotiated with the Czechoslovak authorities for the return of the property, but without success. The château was eventually taken over by the Municipal National Committee of Tovačov and a museum exposition was installed in 1951, and a ceremonial hall was established here in 1952. In other parts of the castle there was a health center, a dining room and a folk art school. Later, the château became the property of the Regional Museum of National History in Přerov, under whose administration the exposition of socialist agriculture of the North Moravian Region (1974–1987) was located here. Since 1994 the castle is owned by the municipality of Tvačov and the individual parts are gradually being restored.

[https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tova%C4%8Dov, https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tova%C4%8Dov; https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tova%C4%8Dov_(z%C3%A1mek)]

contact: webmaster