The market town Gröbming is situated at al elevation of 776 m on a plateau above the valley of the river Enns southeast of the massif of the Dachstein mountains. It was a property of the prince-archbishops of Salzburg from the 10th century until 1803. Due to its sunny geographical location it is a popular holiday resort and sometimes was referred to as the 'Styrian Davos' after the famous Swiss resort Davos). A toll road (the highest mountain road of Styria, 1,950 m) leads onto the Stoderzinken ([background right], summit 2,048 m). From there, a foot-path leads to the well-known 'Peace Chapel' ('Friedenskirchlein') with a magnificent view over the Enns valley.
The parish church Mariä Himmelfahrt (Ascension of Our Lady) [centre right]
was built 1491–1500 in Late Gothic style. The church was first mentioned in a document
of 1170. Until the 17th century it belonged to the monastery of Chiemsee in Germany, since
1690 it belongs to the monastery of Admont. The church contains a large
Gothic winged altar of around 1520 and a splendid Baroque high altar of 1725
which contains several statues of the prior high altar of 1635/38.